¥13,200 Tax included
With our 5-Pocket Shorts, we believe we have made the ultimate pair of hiking shorts. Not alone are they extremely comfortable, but they are fast-drying, light, and comes with our unique 5-pocket system that will conveniently store your smartphone, map, pocketknife, etc., without interfering with your leg movement.
The elastic waistband has been upgraded to a mesh rubber material from 2021. This means that the pants dry quicker and they are more comfortable to wear even when wet.
Made in Akita, Japan
Taslan Nylon (100% Nylon), 120g/㎡
174g (Size S)
180g (Size M)
188g (Size L)
194g (Size XL)
MEN | S / M / L / XL
Akira Natsume, Yamatomichi Founder
Although shorts are usually considered inappropriate for hiking in Japan, I like hiking with shorts during the spring, summer, and autumn.
It is true that, when you wear shorts, your bare legs can get injured or scratched by the rocks and trees when you fall down, but shorts are much more comfortable and you are less likely to get overheated compared with wearing long pants. I don’t think it’s fair to emphasize only the risks without paying attention to the usability and comfort of shorts.
When you enjoy hiking in nature, accidents might happen, and it is up to you to decide the priority based on your knowledge and experience considering the usability and comfort of your gear while minimizing the potential risk.
I love shorts so much that my wife and I have always wanted to make a pair since we started Yamatomichi. There were already many lightweight trail running shorts around, but all with limited functions. I had never seen a hiking-oriented pair that perfectly fitted our needs. Ideally, a pair of shorts should be easy to use, fast-drying, lightweight, and comfortable with access-friendly pockets for your hands and items.
Another feature we focused on was a pocket that can neatly store a smartphone. It is an essential item for anyone nowadays even in the mountains for it can be used as a GPS device, map, and camera. The secure storage of my smartphone was always a source of concern when I wore existing trail-running shorts. The phone bounced around in the side pockets of the paper-thin shorts, and there was also a risk of sitting on it if I kept it in one of the back pockets.
For two years, I tested a pile of prototypes and tried numerous patterns again and again to create the ideal pair of hiking shorts. The fruit of many trials and errors is the well-allocated pockets: each pocket is specifically designed for a map, wallet, or smartphone. This 5-Pocket system is now used on all our shorts and long pants.
Form and Function
Pockets for Smartphone and Maps
Yamatomichi 5-Pocket design can neatly store your map, snack, wallet, and other items you need during hiking, without interfering with your leg movement.
Especially, our smartphone pocket at the side is so well-positioned that it fits your phone while keeping it securely in place without bouncing around when running. The map pocket is large enough to store the water bottle.
In the pouring rain, even water-repellent finished clothes will unavoidably get wet. Also, even the highest-spec rainwear gets soaked from the moisture caused by sweat during intense exercise.
Hence, what we prioritize is how fast the fabric can dry after getting wet, rather than making a lot of effort to keep them completely dry.
Our 5-Pocket Shorts/Pants are made of lightweight and durable Taslan nylon (120 grams per square meter) with a cotton-like texture.
Moisture content after 15 minutes of spin-dry
The below chart compares the moisture content in the fabric of the 5-Pocket Shorts/Pants with synthetic base layers and normal cotton after a 15 minutes spin cycle.
The lower the moisture content, the faster the fabric will dry. As can be seen on the chart, the 5-Pocket Pants/Shorts are almost completely dry with a moisture content of only 1% after 15 minutes of spin-dry.
Cotton-like Taslan Nylon
The Taslan nylon fabric is made of “air-textured yarns”, the filament yarns using compressed air.
Unlike the general nylon fabrics, which are often shiny, the Taslan nylon has a matte and soft texture. It is a high-density material made of “air-textured yarns”, achieving both durability and lightweight.
The nylon material is fast-dry and its unique uneven texture keeps you comfortable in various conditions without sticking to your wet skin.
Taslan Nylon (100% Nylon), 120g/㎡
Tear strength measured by JIS L 1096 D (Pendulum method)
Tensile strength measured by JIS L 1096 A (Strip method)
Vertical: 102kg (or more), Vertical: 79kg
Breathability measured by JIS 1096 A (Frazier method)
- Machine wash below 40°C.
- Use laundry net or wash separately.
- Line dry in the shade.
- Tumble dry below 60°C.
- Do not bleach and do not use fabric softener.
- Iron on low without steam.
- Do not dry-clean.
- High temperatures may cause shrinkage.
- We only accept payment by credit card. We currently do not accept payment via bank transfer from overseas accounts.
- We accept the following Credit Cards: Visa, Master, American Express, and JCB.
- To download your receipt, please click the link included in the Dispatch Notice, which we will send by email as soon as the items are dispatched.
We will ship by DHL for overseas customers (excluding China and Russia). For customers in China and Russia, we will ship by EMS only. Shipping costs vary depending on your country and region.
- Overseas customers who need to change the size of their order, should note that the time needed for shipping will vary greatly depending on your country of residence.
- We only accept exchanges when the item is unused (except for fitting).
- If you wish to exchange the size of the item, please contact us within seven days of receiving your order.
- Exchanges can only be made for the same color in a different size.
- If the size you wish is out of stock, we will suggest a different color.
- If the product is out of stock, we may simply have to ship the item back to you.
- All shipping costs to be carried by the customer.
- We will only send the exchanged item to you, upon receipt of return shipping cost via PayPal.
- Please be aware that some countries charge customs duties depending on the price of the item.
- We are unable to answer any questions on local customs. Please contact your local customs bureau.
We accept repairs for all of our Yamatomichi products. For inquiries on repair services including patching the holes, repairing with extra components, or fixing the items damaged over time, please feel free to contact us from the “Repair” section of the SUPPORT page.