¥34,100 Tax included
Easy-to-carry Medium Size Backpack
Our medium size backpack is made for hard and rugged use and comes in Yamatomichi custom color X-Pac fabrics.
We’ve designed the back to comfortably hold up to about 10kg of gear carried mostly on your back. That’s why the THREE only comes with a simple webbing hip belt.
Choose from three types of large capacity front pockets to match your needs.
Made in Akita, Japan
Size M 40L / 2440 cu in
Size L 45L / 2745 cu in
Mesh / Size M 604g
Mesh / Size L 644g
Standard / Size M 623g
Standard / Size L 660g
Zip / Size M 628g
Zip / Size L 655g
X-Pac VX21 203g/㎡
70D HT PC Coated Ripstop Nylon 106g/㎡
Side Pocket Material:
X-Pac VX21 203g/㎡
Back Panel Material:
200D HT PC Coated Oxford Nylon 144g/㎡
YKK Aquaguard #5
Back Pad 15+
Reflectable Bungee Cord
UNISEX | M / L
Akira Natsume, Yamatomichi Founder
Our first backpack, ONE, was designed to be ultralight, yet internally framed, capable of distributing the load on the waist.
Some years after the release of ONE I began to explore making a comfortable and easy-to-use backpack, that would be a bit more robust, and hence more reliable, but still comfortable and easy to use.
My hiking style also changed over the years, and ONE simply became too large in many cases, so I was exploring a downsized version of ONE, that was meant to be released as “TWO,” but I wasn’t fully satisfied with the prototype so abandoned this idea and focused on making a larger version of the MINI that eventually became the Yamatomichi THREE.
THREE is not, however, merely an enlarged version of MINI. I wanted to make a pack as quick to use and comfortable as MINI, but being capable of distributing a larger load on the waist.
Initially, the prototype’s hip belt was padded, which turned out to be restricting the free movement of the waist. After a thru-hiking for product testing in the Northern Alps, I concluded that regular webbing would work just fine to distribute the load on the waist if the pack’s structure was properly designed. Hence, I removed the padding from the hip belt but increased the width of the webbing from 25mm to 38mm for added comfort.
As a result, although frameless, THREE comfortably allows the carrying of a decent amount of gear distributing the load around the upper torso and upper part of the waist. A conventional pack’s firm and the padded hip belt does sit on the waist securely, but it tends to limit the freedom of waist movement. The low-profile webbing hip belt used on the THREE keeps the waist free when on the move.
I tested various closure methods and ended up with a simple water repellent zipper. Although zippers might break, I focused more on usability and adopted a zipper closure that allows quick access to the items than a draw-string. I also like the fact that it can hold the gear up to the maximum capacity, without redundant fabric.
Consequently, the THREE came out as a very unique backpack, different from both the ONE and the MINI. THREE is perfect for ultralight multi-day hiking. I also recommend it for winter hiking with lots of snow gear.
Form and Function
Freedom on the Move
The THREE is designed to allocate the load on the back and waist using only a simple webbing hip belt, which keeps the load closer to the upper part of the waist.
It’s not designed to carry the main load on the waist like more conventional backpacks with heavy hip belts, but its free-waist design liberates the lower body and allows for a comfortable hike. Although THREE is frameless, our test shows that it can comfortably carry approximately 10 kilograms of weight.
Three Types of Large Front Pockets
The large front pockets are available in Standard, Mesh, and Zip, each serving a different purpose. The pocket is large enough to fit a climbing helmet, or you can store a tent, groundsheet, rainwear, etc. with plenty of room to spare.
The front pocket is placed in the middle of the body so that the load can ride on your hip bones should you overload it.
The zippered main compartment opens and closes much easier and faster than a drawstring pocket, making access to your belongings a breeze.
It also allows you to fill your bags to the maximum capacity without having to squeeze them to close like a drawstring or roll-top compartment.
We’ve paid a lot of attention to the details of the THREE to make it as easy and comfortable to use as possible.
The bottom attachment loops, bungee cords in front of the front pocket, and side straps hold snowshoes and other gear making the THREE perfect for winter hiking with a lot of extra gear.
Highly Durable and Water Repellent X-Pac VX21
Material: 210 denier nylon, black polyester X-Ply, polyester film, 50 denier polyester (Durable Water Repellent)
X-Pac VX21, which we use for the bottom parts of the ONE and MINI, is a durable and water-resistant multi-layer fabric. It is comprised of a wear-resistant 210 denier nylon on the surface, a water-resistant PET film in the middle, and a 50 denier polyester taffeta and diamond-patterned black polyester X-Ply material at the bottom, combined with the hydrostatic water-resistant structural technology.
*Dull Gold, Spruce, and Towney Port are our bespoke version of Pertex fabric.
In-house Test Result (Erros may occur depending on the production lot of the fabric)
Tensile strength (JIS L 1096 A method): Vertical 123kg, Horizontal 119kg
Tear strength (JIS L 1096 A method): Vertical 12.2kg, Horizontal 9.9kg
We offer two sizes of the MINI. In general, we recommend the larger L size if you are over 175cm tall, but as all people are different we recommend you try out the two different sizes before you buy if at all possible.
- The length of the shoulder strap is the straight line from the base of the strap to the end of the core material.
- Please refer to the ONE Custom Order page for more information on how we measure the length of the back of our backpacks.
- If correctly sized, the backpack should sit on the upper hip, between the sacrum and spine.
*Although the main fabric, X-Pac is water-resistant, the THREE is not completely waterproof. For better water resistance, we highly recommend the use of the water-resistant pack liner or individual Ziploc bags to keep your items safe from the rain.
- Hand wash only. Do not use washing machine.
- To hand wash, submerge the pack in the lukewarm water with proper amount of neutral detergent.
- Do not bleach and do not use fabric softener.
- Remove the pad and other removable parts and components before washing.
- If the stain is noticeable, wash the area with a brush or soft sponge.
- Rinse well so that the detergent is completely washed away.
- Drain and dry well in the shade, with the mouth of the backpack facing down.
- Store in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight.
- Do not iron.
- The pad is hand wash only. Rinse well and wipe off the moisture, and hang dry in the shade.
- We only accept payment by credit card. We currently do not accept payment via bank transfer from overseas accounts.
- We accept the following Credit Cards: Visa, Master, American Express, and JCB.
- To download your receipt, please click the link included in the Dispatch Notice, which we will send by email as soon as the items are dispatched.
We will ship by DHL for overseas customers (excluding China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia). For customers in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia, we will ship by EMS only. Shipping costs vary depending on your country and region.
- Overseas customers who need to change the size of their order, should note that the time needed for shipping will vary greatly depending on your country of residence.
- We only accept exchanges when the item is unused (except for fitting).
- If you wish to exchange the size of the item, please contact us within seven days of receiving your order.
- Exchanges can only be made for the same color in a different size.
- If the size you wish is out of stock, we will suggest a different color.
- If the product is out of stock, we may simply have to ship the item back to you.
- All shipping costs to be carried by the customer.
- We will only send the exchanged item to you, upon receipt of return shipping cost via PayPal.
- Please be aware that some countries charge customs duties depending on the price of the item.
- We are unable to answer any questions on local customs. Please contact your local customs bureau.
We accept repairs for all of our Yamatomichi products. For inquiries on repair services including patching the holes, repairing with extra components, or fixing the items damaged over time, please feel free to contact us from the “Repair” section of the SUPPORT page.
- For temporary repair, please keep the repair tape in your emergency kit.
- The repair tape should be patched up on both the front and back sides of the fabric. The tape must be larger than the damaged or torn part of the fabric.
- If you round the edges of the patch, it will last longer.