¥ 30,800 Tax included
Japanese Ultralight Backpack
At only 340 grams*, our MINI is the most versatile backpack in our product line with a capacity ranging from 25 to 32 liters, suitable for both one-day and overnight hiking.
Designed to allocate the load naturally in the upper part of your torso, MINI frees your waist to ensure comfort while walking the rugged mountains of Japan.
*Size M, excluding accessories
Since 2021, the body material uses the updated 70D HT (High Tenacity) PC (Polycarbonate) Coated Ripstop Nylon.
Made in Tokyo, Japan
Size M 25-30L/1525-1830 cu in
Size L 28-32L/1708-1952 cu in
Size M 395g (Without Accessories)
Size L 411g (Without Accessories)
70D HT PC Coated RipStop Nylon 106g/㎡
Front Pocket Material:
X-Pac VX07 162.7g/㎡
Side Pocket Material:
X-Pac VX21 203g/㎡
Back Panel Material:
200D HT PC Coated Oxford Nylon 144g/㎡
Minimalist Pad (45x90x0.5cm/43g)
Reflectable Bungee Cord
UNISEX | M / L
Akira Natsume, Yamatomichi Founder
I designed the MINI, Yamatomichi’s second backpack, to be as simple, lightweight, and easy-to-use as possible.
Inspired by the classic Ray-Way backpack, by Ultra Light Hiking pioneer Ray Jardine, our MINI is designed to carry the main load on the shoulders only leaving your waist comfortably free. If the load is properly distributed in the upper areas around your shoulder blades and chest, most people will have no problems comfortably carrying up to 8 kilograms without using the waist for support. This frees your waist and allows for free and more comfortable movement when hiking.
Many conventional small to midsized backpacks have thin and flimsy shoulder straps, causing too much stress on the hikers’ shoulders. These packs are not properly designed to distribute the load around the chest equally, although they might be lightweight. On the contrary, MINI’s shoulder straps are designed to avoid the load to concentrate on the shoulders even with a heavy load. I tested numerous different strap designs to find the optimum hardness and thickness of the straps.
If you try it on, I am sure you will feel the firm and comfortable shoulder pads effortlessly distributing the load throughout the whole upper body around the shoulder blades and your chest. While the MINI is designed to carry up to eight kilograms comfortably, I believe that the pack can hold even up to ten kilograms while avoiding too much stress on the shoulders.
Unlike many typical ultralight packs with iconic mesh front pockets, MINI is equipped with the zippered front pocket made of X-Pac for the Japanese rainy climate. The pocket is not completely waterproof but highly water-resistant with a water repellent zipper, keeping the items inside dry in light rain.
The MINI holds about 25 liters in volume, but will expand to about 30 liters due to the spacious roll-top should you need to carry a tarp of light shelter for an overnight hike or even longer with proper planning and equipment selection.
So that’s why I believe that the MINI is our most versatile backpack in the Yamatomichi lineup. I use it anywhere from a stroll around my hometown to snow hiking and will keep testing and improving the backpack along the way.
Form and Function
Carry the Load
The MINI is built to hold up to around eight kilograms of pack weight (total pack weight) , and comfortably distribute the weight in the upper body area around the shoulder blades and chest without relying on the waist support.
The MINI’s design thus frees your waist from the load and ensures comfortable hiking around the rugged Japanese mountains.
The MINI has a long tubular roll-top with a total capacity of over 30 liters in size M, 32 liters in L. You can be creative and use the top strap, bungee cords and bottom attachment loops to carry even more.
Integrated Minimalist Pad
We have included a Minimalist Pad (H45cm x W90cm x D0.5cm / 43g) in the back of the MINI. The Minimalist Pad is removable and can be used as a sleeping pad or an emergency pad to keep you warm.
We offer a number of options to expand the features and capacity of your MINI.
We adopt the best material for each part of the pack: lightweight 70 denier HT PC Coated Ripstop Nylon for the main body of the pack, highly water-resistant and tear-resistant X-Pac VX07 for the pocket, and robust X-Pac VX21 for the bottom.
70D HT PC Coated Ripstop Nylon
Material: 70 Denier High-tenacity Nylon,
Polycarbonate Coating, DWR (Durable Water Repellent)
This 70 denier HT (high-tenacity) ripstop nylon fabric is our proprietary material with enhanced strength and durability compared with conventional nylon. The surface is DWR (durable water repellent) finished, and the backside is polycarbonate coated, achieving a much better anti-hydrolyzation performance than regular polyurethane-based fabrics.The results of the Tropical Test, aka Jungle Test, in which the fabrics are left in a machine with 95% humidity, temperatures at 70°C for ten weeks, showed that the new material will not significantly deteriorate for 10 years.
In-house test results (Variations may occur according to the actual production lot):
Tensile strength (JIS L 1096 A method): 97.2kg (vertical), 63.6kg (horizontal).
Tear strength (JIS L 1096 A method): 6.8kg (vertical), 3.9kg (horizontal)
Water pressure resistance (JIS L 1092B): 4079mm
Material: 70 Denier Ripstop Nylon, Black polyester X-ply, 0.25 Polyester film, 50 Denier polyester (Durable water repellent)
A multi-layered fabric with 70 denier double rip nylon on the surface, a thin layer of nylon on the inside and a diamond-shaped arrangement of strong Dacron fibers in the middle. Extremely tear-resistant, durable and 100% waterproof, although some rain might seep in through the seams.
Test results (Variations may occur according to the actual production lot)
Tensile strength (JIS L 1096 A method): 111kg (vertical), 92kg (horizontal).
Tear strength (JIS L 1096 A method): 10.5kg (vertical), 8kg (horizontal)
Water pressure resistance (JIS L 1092 A method): 40991mm
Material: 210 Denier Nylon, Black polyester X-Ply, Polyester film, 50 Denier polyester (Durable water repellent)
In order to reinforce the bottom part, we have used X-Pac VX21 that is characterized by superior tear strength, high durability and full water resistance. X-Pac VX21 is a multi-layer fabric that we use for all bottom parts of our backpacks. It is comprised of a wear-resistant 210 denier nylon on the surface, a water resistant PET film in the middle, and a 50 denier polyester taffeta and diamond-patterned black polyester X-Ply material at the bottom.
Test results (Variations may occur according to the actual production lot)
Tensile strength (JIS L 1096 A method): 123kg (vertical), 119kg (horizontal)
Tear strength (JIS L 1096 A method): 12.2kg (vertical), 9.9kg (horizontal)
For larger hikers, we have added the Size L to our lineup since 2019. The Size L has a larger torso length and a modified shoulder strap shape. We have now two size selections: M and L.
We offer two sizes of the MINI. In general, we recommend the larger L size if you are over 175cm tall, but as all people are different we recommend you try out the two different sizes before you buy if at all possible.
Please also use the below guide for reference when deciding on which MINI to buy.
- The length of the shoulder strap is the straight line from the base of the strap to the end of the core material.
- Please refer to the ONE Custom Order page for more information on how we measure the length of the back of our backpacks.
- MINI made before 2018 are all size M.
Is the MINI water-resistant?A.
The MINI is not water-resistant. The front pocket uses the waterproof material, but the water can get in from the seams. Though a rain cover can be effective to protect from the rain, it is not completely water-resistant. For better water-resistance, we highly recommend the water-resistant pack liner or the Ziploc to keep your items away from the rain.
Is it suitable for daily use?A.
Some customers do use the MINI for towns, but please note that it is not designed for daily use. The long roll-top and the front pocket zipper are made large to maximize the volume, so you might find them too much at the supermarket.
The MINI is, however, so lightweight and well-balanced that it is comfortable even in towns. You may be able to carry heavy groceries without a problem!
- Hand-wash only. Do not machine-wash.
- Submerge the product in lukewarm water with a correct amount of neutral detergent, and hand-wash it.
- Do not bleach. Do not use fabric softner.
- Remove any optional parts such as pads before washing.
- Wash off any noticeable stains or smudges with a washing brush or soft sponge.
- Rinse well so that no detergent remains.
- Drain the backpack with the mouth down. Keep dry in a shade.
- Store in a dark, well-ventilated place.
- Do not iron.
- Hand-wash the pad gently, rinse well, and keep dry in a shade.
- We only accept payment by credit card. We currently do not accept payment via bank transfer from overseas accounts.
- We accept the following Credit Cards: Visa, Master, American Express, and JCB.
- To download your receipt, please click the link included in the Dispatch Notice, which we will send by email as soon as the items are dispatched.
We will ship by DHL for overseas customers (excluding China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia). For customers in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia, we will ship by EMS only. Shipping costs vary depending on your country and region.
- Overseas customers who need to change the size of their order, should note that the time needed for shipping will vary greatly depending on your country of residence.
- We only accept exchanges when the item is unused (except for fitting).
- If you wish to exchange the size of the item, please contact us within seven days of receiving your order.
- Exchanges can only be made for the same color in a different size.
- If the size you wish is out of stock, we will suggest a different color.
- If the product is out of stock, we may simply have to ship the item back to you.
- All shipping costs to be carried by the customer.
- We will only send the exchanged item to you, upon receipt of return shipping cost via PayPal.
- Please be aware that some countries charge customs duties depending on the price of the item.
- We are unable to answer any questions on local customs. Please contact your local customs bureau.
We accept repairs for all of our Yamatomichi products. For inquiries on repair services including patching the holes, repairing with extra components, or fixing the items damaged over time, please feel free to contact us from the “Repair” section of the SUPPORT page.
- For temporary repair, please keep the repair tape in your emergency kit.
- The repair tape should be patched up on both the front and back sides of the fabric. The tape must be larger than the damaged or torn part of the fabric.
- If you round the edges of the patch, it will last longer.