山と道

Winter Hike Pants

388g

¥36,300 Tax included

Introduction

From your front door to the peak

For snowy winter hikes, we wanted to make a pair of pants you can wear from the moment you leave your front door and all the way up to the top of Mt. Fuji. We usually even keep them on while sleeping at night!

The Winter Hike Pants are made of exceptionally waterproof, windproof, soft, and breathable Polartec Power Shield Pro, equally as comfortable and flexible as most softshell pants.

They have a sleeker, slimmer silhouette than the 5-Pocket Pants, while using the same 5-Pocket system.

Color

  • Black
  • Black

Specs

Made in Akita, Japan

Material:
Facing: Polartec Power Shield Pro (90% Polyester, 10% Spandex) 222g/㎡
Functional Layer: 89% Polyester, 11% Cupro
Pocket Liner: Polartec Micro Fleece (100% Polyester)
Contrast Fabric: 500D Cordura Nylon (100% Nylon)
Zipper:
YKK #3 Aquaguard®︎
YKK #3 Coil Zipper
Weight:
388g(Size XS)、391g(Size XST)
408g(Size S)、413g(Size ST)
422g(Size M)、427g(Size MT)
445g(Size L)、450g(Size LT)
467g(Size XL)、474g(Size XLT)
Size:
UNISEX | XS / XS-Tall / S / S-Tall / M / M-Tall / L / L-Tall / XL / XL-Tall

Product Story

For Snowy Mountain Hikes

Akira Natsume, Yamatomichi Founder

In winter, the weather changes more drastically than in summer. An abrupt change in the weather may turn your peaceful walk into a severe struggle. After a gust of wind, a snowstorm may suddenly wipe out everything in front of you. It is difficult to predict the time needed for a day’s hike because after a blizzard, all traces may disappear and you may have to trudge through a completely new fresh snow landscape.

Is it all bad?

Read more

Of course not! On a bright sunny day, I am blown away by breathtakingly beautiful mountain landscapes. At night, I eat a slowly simmering hot-pot together with my friends in our shared tent. The air is crisply cold, but I lie down in my warm sleeping bag, thinking about the beautiful mountain ridge I will be walking tomorrow. All of these are precious moments that can only be experienced in winter.

I love the winter mountains so much that I decided to create a pair of ideal pants for snow hikers. One concern was that many existing winter hiking pants came with really poor pockets. In many cases, the pockets are either too few or too difficult to reach. To make up for this, our Winter Hike Pants are equipped with our unique 5-Pocket system.

We also added metal hooks at the end of the hems to securely catch your shoelaces so that the hems will not crawl up, and consequently, the pants can keep out snow even without gaiters. The inner side of the hems is reinforced with a tear-proof material to protect against the spikes of crampons. And because of the flexibility and excellent breathability, our Winter Hike Pants are so versatile that you can wear them from the moment you leave home without the need to change along the way.

Polartec’s high-performance softshell, Power Shield Pro is waterproof, highly breathable, soft, and stretchable, yet the texture is like a normal kind of fabric. Usually, breathable materials like fleece lets in air, so it can be cold when it’s windy or when you are resting. But what’s special about the Power Shield Pro is that it gets more breathable when you start moving but feels almost windproof when you are standing still. In short, it is warm when you are resting, but breathes well when you are on the move. The material shuts out 99% of the wind, while letting through the remaining 1%. Its superior waterproof performance protects you from getting wet and assures your comfort even when you hike in heavy snow, or when you have to keep walking during a blizzard on an untraced trail. (2016)

Form and Function

Ultra Comfort

The Winter Hike Pants are exceptionally breathable and as comfortable as softshell pants, although they have less water pressure resistance than general waterproof fabrics.

From the moment you leave home, while up on a cold mountain ridge, and even while sleeping in your tent at camp, the Winter Hike pants will keep you comfortable.

Blend in

Hardshell Hiking pants are usually not so comfortable on the train or bus. Also, they are so heavy duty that they draw attention around town. But it’s a hassle to bring an extra pair and change at the trailhead parking lot, so we decided to create a pair of pants that look good both at home and at the peak of a snowy mountain.

Our Winter Hike Pants use Polartec Power Shield Pro, a soft, flexible and stretchable softshell material. They will blend in town and look just like normal pants, but they are designed for snowy mountains and shut out 99% of the wind.

Pockets for Smartphone and Maps

Yamatomichi 5-Pocket design can neatly store your map, snack, wallet, and other items you need during hiking, without interfering with your leg movement.

Each pocket is zippered to keep snow out, and the smartphone pocket on the right has been enlarged to fit a smartphone with a waterproof case. The side pockets are lined with Polartec Micro fleece to keep your hands warm.

Shoelace catcher and crampon shield

Gaiters can keep out snow and protect against the sharp spikes of crampons. They are, however, troublesome to attach/detach when you take off your shoes, and gaiters can restrict the movement of your ankles. For these reasons, we prefer to hike without them.

Our Winter Hike Pants come with metal hooks at the end of the hems to securely catch the shoelaces of your boots, preventing the hems from crawling up to keep out the snow. The hem is adjustable with a drawstring to tightly cover the upper part of the boot.
The hem is reinforced with 500D Cordura fabric to protect the pants from the sharp spikes of crampons.

The shoelace catchers may be unhooked when you have to keep trudging through the deep snow.

Details

Material

Polartec Power Shield Pro

The original Power Shield is a softshell material developed by Polartec with superior windproof and breathability performance. It is less breathable when you are standing still, but becomes highly breathable when you start moving. That is, it is warm when you are resting, yet it breathes well when you are walking. The Polartec Power Shield Pro is a cutting-edge, updated version of the Power Shield with enhanced waterproof performance.

A hydrostatic pressure test (ISO811, AATCC127, JIS L1092 equivalent) showed that it has a water resistance of 5000mm, and remains water-resistant at 3000mm at a minimum throughout the usable lifespan of the fabric. This is perhaps not the best of the best, but more than sufficient for winter hiking gear.

The Power Shield Pro is composed of three layers. The water-resistant and water permeable second layer membrane is sandwiched by a facing and lining material. The Power Shield Pro can be thicker or softer depending on the type of facing and lining materials.

The facing material for the Winter Hike Pants is a snow repellant, cotton-like fabric, and the lining is a jersey material with a soft and comfortable texture. It is neither thick nor super-warm, so we recommend hikers to wear extra under tights if additional warmth is needed.

Technical features (Supplied by Polartec)

  • Blocks 99% of wind, but the remaining 1% circulates within the clothes to prevent overheating.
  • Excellent breathability reduces the risk of heat stress during heavy exercise.
  • Water-resistant up to a maximum of 5000mm, yet always breathable.
  • Surface repels rain or snow.
  • Wear-resistant surface protects the exterior against abrasion, keeping the performance intact.
  • Stress-free elasticity while walking.
  • Relatively noise-free compared with many other hardshell materials.
  • Light, warm and more compressible than conventional insulation material.
  • Machine-washable.

Test result of dynamic breathability by ASTM F 2298 method (Source: Polartec)

The Power Shield Pro’s second layer blocks 99% of wind, while the remaining 1% circulates within the clothes to accelerate the evaporation of moisture. It is warm when you are resting, yet breathable during exercise without getting too hot, keeping you comfortable.

The above chart shows a comparison of materials used in winter hiking pants by various companies.

The vertical axis is breathability, and the horizontal axis indicates the circulation of air. The graph shows that the Power Shield Pro is warm when standing still, but breathable and comfortable while on the move. The results of other materials are as follows.

  • Power Shield:Just like the “Pro” version, it is warm when standing by, breathable and comfortable during exercise, but it has no water resistance.
  • Neoshell:It is liked for its breathability, water resistance, and water permeability, but is likely to be colder when resting and less breathable while on the move than Power Shield Pro.
  • Windproof softshell:Conventional softshell material has poor breathability with no or little water resistance.
  • Highly water-resistant, water-permeable material:It is used in many overpants, but the breathability is only 25% of the Power Shield Pro. It is highly water-resistant but less breathable, so it gets stuffy. The fabric is relatively thin with poor durability.

Material:
Facing: Polartec Power Shield Pro (90% Polyester, 10% Spandex)
Weight: 222g/㎡
Functional Layer: 89% Polyester, 11% Cupra
Pocket Liner: Polartec Micro Fleece (100% Polyester)
Pocket Liner Mesh: 100% Polyester
Contrast Fabric: 500D Cordura Nylon (100% Nylon)

SPEC:
Polartec Power Shield Pro
Tear strength measured by JIS L 1096 D (tested by Yamatomichi)
Vertical: 3.8kg, Horizontal: 2.3kg

Tensile strength measured by JIS L 1096 A (tested by Yamatomichi)
Vertical: 84.5kg, Horizontal: 47.7kg

Breathability measured by JIS 1096 A (tested by Yamatomichi)
0.5cc/(㎠・s)

Moisture permeability measured by JIS L 1099 A-1 (tested by Yamatomichi)
6840g/㎡/day

Water pressure resistance measured by JIS L 1092 B (Catalog spec)
Min: 5000mm, Max: 20000mm

Size

推奨サイズ/Recommended Size

Unisex
Size XS XST S ST M MT L LT XL XLT
身長/Height
cm
150~160 161~166 159~166 167~172 165~172 173~178 170~178 179~184 176~184 185~190
体重/Weight
kg
42~53 42~53 51~61 51~61 59~69 59~69 67~78 67~78 76~85 76~85
ウエスト/Waist
cm
60~70 60~70 68~80 68~80 74~84 74~84 82~92 82~92 90~94 90~94

製品サイズ/Product Size

Unisex
単位:cm
Size XS XST S ST M MT L LT XL XLT
パンツ丈/Pants Length 96 99 101 104 104.5 107.5 108 111 110.5 113.5
股下/Inseam 71 74 75.5 78.5 79 82 82 85 84.5 87.5
ウエスト/Waist 62 62 66 66 71 71 76 76 81 81
ヒップ/Hip 51 51 53.5 53.5 55.5 55.5 58 58 60.5 60.5
裾巾/Hemline 18 18 18.5 18.5 19 19 19.2 19.2 19.5 19.5

Please Note

Care Instructions

  • Use neutral detergent. Machine wash at 30°C.
  • Wash separately or use a laundry net bag.
  • Do not bleach and do not use fabric softener.
  • Tumble dry below 60°C.
  • Do not dry-clean.
  • Do not iron.

Payment

  • We only accept payment by credit card. We currently do not accept payment via bank transfer from overseas accounts.
  • We accept the following Credit Cards: Visa, Master, American Express, and JCB.
  • To download your receipt, please click the link included in the Dispatch Notice, which we will send by email as soon as the items are dispatched.

Delivery

We will ship by DHL for overseas customers (excluding China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia). For customers in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia, we will ship by EMS only. Shipping costs vary depending on your country and region.

Size Exchange

  • Overseas customers who need to change the size of their order, should note that the time needed for shipping will vary greatly depending on your country of residence.
  • We only accept exchanges when the item is unused (except for fitting).
  • If you wish to exchange the size of the item, please contact us within seven days of receiving your order.
  • Exchanges can only be made for the same color in a different size.
  • If the size you wish is out of stock, we will suggest a different color.
  • If the product is out of stock, we may simply have to ship the item back to you.
  • All shipping costs to be carried by the customer.
  • We will only send the exchanged item to you, upon receipt of return shipping cost via PayPal.
  • Please be aware that some countries charge customs duties depending on the price of the item.
  • We are unable to answer any questions on local customs. Please contact your local customs bureau.

Repair

We accept repairs for all of our Yamatomichi products. For inquiries on repair services including patching the holes, repairing with extra components, or fixing the items damaged over time, please feel free to contact us from the “Repair” section of the SUPPORT page.

BUY

MORE