Yamatomichi is happy to help you repair any of our products. We believe that extending the lifespan of our products is good not just for you, but also for the planet. We are sure that a carefully repaired backpack will make you love it even more, so do let us know how we can help.
We take pride in our ultralight hiking gear. They might not be so strong a durable as products made with sturdier fabrics, but we believe your world may look different when your load is lighter.
We hope you will come to love both the advantages and disadvantages of being lightweight, and enjoy hiking with our gear for many years to come.
Ichiro Kitajima, Yamatomichi Repair Division
1. Please contact us via Inquiry Form.
Please contact us via the Repair Request Form below. Please specify the item name, how it is broken, and the date of purchase.
2. We will contact you by email.
After the item status is confirmed, we will contact you by e-mail to inform you of the repair cost and due date of repair as soon as possible.
3. Please send us the item to be repaired.
Please pre-pay the shipping cost in advance and send us the item to be repaired.
4. We will confirm the details of the repair.
After checking your item, our repair staff will contact you with the details of the repair and the repair cost.
5. Please pay the repair cost.
As soon as the repair fee is paid, we will start repairing your item.
6. We will send the repaired item back.
Your item will be delivered as soon as the repair is completed.
*The repair costs listed below are rough guidance.
*Please add 10% consumption tax if you live in Japan.
Replace broken zipper: ¥5,000
Replace broken shoulder pad: ¥5,000 or more/each
Repair hole (app. 5cm): ¥500 or more
Replace the entire side/bottom fabric: ¥5,000
Repair the minor hole with repair tape: ¥500 or more
Repair hole (app. 5cm): ¥500 or more
Repair minor holes: ¥500-¥1,000
Replace belt: ¥1,000
Purchase parts due to damage or loss: ¥100 or more
Please feel free to contact us about repairs other than those listed above!
The customer is to pay for the shipping and return shipping of the item. The return shipping fee will be charged together with the repair cost.
Shipping from the customer to Yamatomichi: Paid by the customer in advance
Shipping from Yamatomichi to the customer: 700 yen (tax included)
Yamatomichi Laboratory Shop (Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture) accepts repairs by bring-in. Please check the Yamatomichi Laboratory Shop page for our business days.
1F Uchida Building, 1-13-16 Zaimokuza, Kamakura City, Kanagawa, Japan
*Please specify on the shipping label that the item in need of repair is in the package.
*Please make sure the pockets are empty before you ship it.
*The backpack will become more compact in shipping size if the back pad or internal rods are removed.
We accept PayPal (credit card) and bank transfers for payment. Bank transfer is for domestic customers only.
PayPal (credit card)
You do not need to register PayPal to pay by credit card; we will send you a PayPal billing email and you can make a payment by credit card via the URL in the email.
Bank Name: Japan Net Bank
Branch Name: Suzume Branch
Type of Account: Savings
Account Number: 3850737
Account Holder: Yamatomichi
*When you make a payment by bank transfer, please add “8585”, the ID for repair service, before your name.
Example: 8585 YOUR NAME
Repair your item by yourself, and you will love it more! Yamatomichi Repair Diary shows you how we repair the items sent from the customers for reference. Please visit the below URL for details. Please feel free to inquire about the tips on the repair.
Please fill in the below form and send it to us.
Please attach the photo of the damaged part of the item for the quality assurance of our repair service.
Please feel free to ask any questions on how we repair and how much it will cost via the “Comments” section of the form.
- Q. Why am I not receiving emails from Yamatomichi?
A. There are several possible reasons why you might not be receiving our emails:
1. Our emails end up in your spam folder.
2. You are using an email address provided by Japanese domestic carriers such as Docomo, ezweb, and softbank, etc.
3. The email box provided by a Japanese domestic carrier may allow only specific domains and might decline our domain. In order to receive our email, add our email address “firstname.lastname@example.org” to your safe list and. Please contact your carrier if this still does not solve the issue.
4. Incorrect email address is registered.
If your registered email address is incorrect, please contact us at email@example.com.
5. Your order is incomplete.
If you don’t receive an Order Confirmation even after shopping, you may not have finalized the order. Please confirm your order history and make sure your order is complete.
- Q. When I made a payment by bank transfer, I forgot to mention the Order Number. Can you confirm my payment?
A. We will confirm your payment by the payer’s name and the name you used when logging in to our website.
- Q. When will XXX be available to buy from the website?
A. We post the sales schedule and availability of our products via our news webpage, Instagram, and Facebook. You can also register to receive our email newsletter where we announce new products and when they are available. Click here to sign up for our newsletter.
- Q. When will XXX be back in stock?
A. To receive our RESTOCK ALERT, see below:
1. When the item you want is out of stock
Click the “RESTOCK ALERT” badge on the top right of the webpage.
Select your desired size and color, and click “Notify me when restocked”.
Register your email address, and you will automatically be notified as soon as the item is back in stock again.
2. When the size or color you want is out of stock
Click the “BUY” badge on the top right of the webpage.
Select your desired size and color which is out of stock, and click “Notify me when restocked”.
Register your email address, and you will automatically be notified as soon as the color/size you want is back in stock again.
- Q. Do you offer gift wrapping?
A. No, sorry. You’ll have to wrap your own presents. 🙂
- Q. Which size is right for me?
A. Please refer to the “Size” section on each product page. The recommended size for different heights and weights are shown on our size chart.
- Q. I bought the wrong size. Can you exchange?
A. Yes. We accept size exchange. Some items, however, including the made-to-order products cannot be exchanged. Please visit each product’s webpage for the detailed exchange policy.
- Q. I ordered the wrong item. Can I cancel it?
Yes. Your order can be canceled if the product is not dispatched. It can be canceled even after it is dispatched, but we will have to charge you the shipping cost.
- Q. The color was not the one I imagined. Can you exchange?
A. No, sorry. To avoid unnecessary exchanges we do not exchange products just if you happen to not love your ordered color.
- Q. How long will it take to exchange a product?
A. We aim to send your exchange within a week after receipt and examination of your returned product. However, this might take longer due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Q. Can you repair my XXX?
A. Probably Yes! We love our products as much as we hope you do, and are happy to help you extend their lifespan. Send us an e-mail with some photos and we’ll get back to you. Please note that we are usually not able to fix color fading and severe wear-and-tear, but as mentioned, get in touch.
- Q. If the product I want to exchange is out of stock, can I wait until the item is back in stock?
A. No, sorry. We only exchange items that are currently in stock. If your preferred color or size is out of stock, we will offer you a refund and you can place a new order when your preferred product is back in stock.
- Q. If the product I want to exchange is out of stock, can I exchange it for another item?
A. No, sorry. You cannot exchange it for something completely different.
- Q. Can you send multiple items that are separately ordered and purchased online in one package?
A. No, sorry. We cannot ship multiple orders in one package due to how our delivery system is currently set up.
- Q. How do I inquire about repairs?
A. Please contact us via the form below, and our repair team will get back to you.
Please fill in the product name, how it is damaged, and the date of purchase. Please also make sure to attach a photo of the damaged part.
- Q. How long will it take to repair my XXX?
A. Anywhere between two to six weeks depending on what needs to be fixed.
- Q. How much is the repair service fee?
A. Please click the link below for a rough guideline. Please feel free to contact us for any inquiries on repair.
- Q. Can I bring in my XXX for repair?
A. Yes. We accept repairs at our Yamatomichi Laboratory Shop in Kamakura, but please make sure we’re open before you head out.
Yamatomichi Laboratory Shop
- Q. How do you patch holes?
A. Depending on the product, this is usually how we would fix a hole in:
1. Merino wool products
We repair and patch by felting. For details, please visit the below link:
【山と道修理部通信 #1】 (Sorry, Japanese only!)
2. Clothes made of synthetic fiber
We patch and glue to repair using the same fabric.
3. Clothes made of natural fiber (wool)
We patch and sew to repair the hole using the same fabric.
We patch and glue holes using the same fabric.
- Q. Can I purchase just buckles and other small parts?
A. Yes, but only for repair purposes.
If you can replace the part by yourself, we will ship the spare component for a small fee. If the part needs to be replaced by us, send us your product and we will replace the part and send back your product.
Repair Request Form
- Q. Can I purchase a waist belt (hip belt) only?
A. Yes, but only for repair purposes. See below for prices.
ONE’s hip belt: 3500 yen + 250 yen for shipping
THREE’s hip belt: 1000 yen + 250 yen for shipping
MINI’s hip belt: 1000 yen + 250 yen for shipping
- Q. Can I replace the ONE’s carbon rods by myself?
A. Yes, it’s pretty straight forward.
Replacement carbon rod: 500 per piece + 700 yen for shipping
Repair Request Form
- Q. Can you repair broken zippers?
A. Yes, we will replace your broken zipper with a new one.
Please note that we now exclusively use YKK No.5 two-way Zipper which is slightly larger but more durable than the YKK No.3 we used until 2016.
Zipper replacement: 5000 yen + 700 yen for shipping
Replace entire pocket*: 8700 yen + 700 yen for shipping
*When the pocket fabric is seriously damaged.
- Q. Can you hem my pants for me?
A. No, sorry, we don’t offer hemming service.
- Q. Can I fix my own gear?
A. Some items, such as our merino wool products, can quite easily be repaired. We offer advice and ideas on how to do this via the below link: (Sorry, Japanese only for now)
Yamatomichi Repair Diary
- Q. Can I specify which person I would like to talk to?
A. When you sign up for our online customer support, please feel free to add the name of one of our service staff if you have any preferences. Please understand though, that we may not always be able to accommodate your request.
- Q. Can my friends join too?
A. Yes, of course! The more the merrier.
- Q. I am a girl and would like to talk with one of your female staff, is that possible?
A. Yes, we understand that questions about fitting, etc, might be better answered by someone of the same sex, so if you have any preference, please mention so when you sign up.
- Q. Is there a time limit for online customer support?
A. Yes, each session has a twenty minutes time limit.
- Q. Where are your customer support staff physically located when they provide online support?
A. Usually from our Yamatomichi Laboratory in Kamakura, but also sometimes from home or elsewhere.