DW 5-Pocket Pants
¥18,150 Tax included
even when sweaty
The unique double-weave fabric* used is both soft and strong and features an uneven structure, offering excellent comfort even when you sweat. Yamatomichi 5-Pocket design can neatly store your map, snack, wallet, and other items you need during hiking, without interfering with your leg movement.
*Please note that because of the unique fabric used, the surface may become wavy with use.
Made in Akita, Japan
Pertex Equilibrium (100% Nylon) 86g/㎡
YKK #3 Coil Zipper
191g (Size S)
194g (Size S-Tall)
197g (Size M)
200g (Size M-Tall)
208g (Size L)
211g (Size L-Tall)
216g (Size XL)
219g (Size XL-Tall)
MEN | S / S-Tall / M / M-Tall / L / L-Tall / XL / XL-Tall
Akira Natsume, Yamatomichi Founder
I don’t really believe in the idea of “perfect gear”. Even gear I love and have used for ages has both advantages and disadvantages. That’s just the nature of things.
Initially, I was trying to create a pair of perfect pants with no drawbacks whatsoever. I wanted to make a pair of pants that are light, yet strong. Easy to move around in and don’t stick to your wet skin even when you get sweaty or are hiking in a humid climate.
We began looking for a replacement for our regular 5-Pocket’s Taslan nylon fabric and were thinking of a heavier version of the Light 5-Pocket’s Pertex Equilibrium as we loved many of this fabric’s wonderful features.
The Pertex Equilibrium has a unique double-weave structure with a soft two-directional stretch, which is achieved without the use of polyurethane often used in stretchable fabrics. This double-weave structure offers both great breathability and comfort, as the fabric is less prone to stick to wet skin.
In our search for a replacement for our regular Taslan nylon, we tried a variety of different materials, including a bespoke version of the Pertex Equilibrium we developed together with Pertex that we call DW Pertex Equilibrium. We loved the slight stretch and comfort of the double-weave but concluded that none were as strong and durable as the plain-woven Taslan used in our regular shorts and pants.
So rather than replace the fabric for our regular 5-Pocket Pants and Shorts we decided to create something in-between the very durable 5-Pocket Pants and Shorts and exceptionally lightweight Light 5 Pocket Pants/Shorts.
On the other hand, the Light 5-Pocket Pants/Shorts are made of an ultra-thin and soft version of the Pertex Equilibrium. They are super light and comfortable in most cases, but if you sweat a lot during heavy exercise such as trail running, the smooth fabric is prone to stick to your wet skin.
By contrast, the DW fabric uses a soft, firm fabric with a rough and rather bumpy, double-weave structure that nicely prevents the fabric from sticking to your wet skin, even if you sweat a lot.
Consequently, we have successfully created comfortable three-season hiking pants with reliable toughness and durability. The DW 5-Pocket Pants are, namely, our new standard.
Please note that because of the unique structure of the DW Pertex Equilibrium, the fabric might develop slight snags with use.
Form and Function
Comfortable, Double-weave Material
The DW 5-Pocket Shorts are made of a bespoke version of Pertex Equilibrium made to our specific requirements by Pertex. The Double Weave structure creates an uneven surface that helps the fabric from sticking to your wet or moist skin. Our unique DW fabric is made with thicker yarns woven into the fabric to accentuate the unevenness of the fabric to keep you comfortable at all times.
Though Pertex Equilibrium is used for Light 5-Pocket as well, DW’s fabric is made of thicker yarns for more texture, offering better comfort even when you sweat.
Pockets for Smartphone and Maps
Yamatomichi 5-Pocket design can neatly store your map, snack, wallet, and other items you need during hiking, without interfering with your leg movement.
Especially, our smartphone pocket at the side is so well-positioned that it fits your phone while keeping it securely in place without bouncing around when running. The map pocket is large enough to store the water bottle.
Outstanding Ease of Movement
The DW 5-Pocket Pants are perhaps the most comfortable pants among our 5-Pocket lineup.
- They are easy to move around even when you heavily sweat because the pant fabric does not stick to your wet skin.
- Just like our 5-Pocket Pants, the knee and thigh are sewn three-dimensionally, allowing ample space between the fabric and the thigh, so that comfortable leg movement is assured.
- In order to maximize the material’s elasticity, the fabrics are sewn together vertically and horizontally, so that the pants flexibly follow your leg movement.
As the fabric is very light it dries in no time! See below for details of just how fast these pants dry compared to other fabrics.
The below chart compares the moisture content in the fabric of the DW 5-Pocket Pants/Shorts with synthetic base layers and normal cotton after a 15 minutes spin cycle.
The lower the moisture content, the faster the fabric will dry. As can be seen on the above chart the DW 5-Pocket Shorts are almost completely dry with a moisture content of only 0.6% after a 15 minutes spin.
The elastic waistband has been upgraded to a mesh rubber material for faster drying.
The DW 5-Pocket Pants have the same roomy shape around the hip and thigh as the 5-Pocket Pants to assure ease of movement, but the inseam gusset is designed like the Light 5-Pocket Pants. Consequently, the DW’s size is similar to that of the 5-Pocket Pants, yet with a more elegant and slimmer design.
Please visit the below page for details and comparisons of all our 5-Pocket Pants and Shorts.
Each has its own advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation, season, and application, but all of the designs are similar. Please visit the following link for details.
Pertex Equilibrium uses a unique double weave construction for lightweight and comfort. Together with Pertex, we developed our own version of the material where we enhanced the unevenness at the back of the fabric by specifying thicker yarns than regularly used for the double weave. The density of the fabric is well-balanced to provide both great breathability and comfort.
The Pertex Equilibrium used for the DW 5-Pocket Pants/Shorts weighs 86g/m2 is positioned between the 5-Pocket Shorts (120g/m2) and the Light 5-Pocket Shorts (55g/m2). The DW is a soft yet firm fabric with a little elasticity.
Pertex Equilibrium (100% Nylon) 86g/㎡
70d/68f x 60d/20f, Double cloth
Tear strength measured by JIS L 1096 D (In-house test)
Vertical: 1.8kg, Horizontal: more than 5.7kg
Tensile strength measured by JIS L 1096 A (In-house test)
Vertical: 65kg, Horizontal: 79kg
Breathability measured by JIS 1096 A (In-house test)
推奨サイズ / Recommended Size
製品サイズ / Product Size
*Slight size differences may occur due to fabric shrinkage and sewing variations.
The DW 5-Pocket Shorts use a special double-weave fabric, with thick yarns on the backside. When the thick yarns, made up of bundles of very fine fibers, are rubbed and intertwined with your body hair when moving, the fabric may develop snags and a unique wavy texture. If you are concerned about snags, please try the following steps.
- Machine wash below 40°C.
- Use a laundry net or wash separately.
- Line dry in the shade.
- Tumble dry below 60°C.
- The heat of the tumble dry may cause shrinkage but will be restored with use.
- Do not bleach and do not use fabric softener.
- Iron on low without steam.
- Do not dry-clean.
- High temperatures may cause shrinkage.
- The fabric may develop snags due to the friction with your body hair.
- We only accept payment by credit card. We currently do not accept payment via bank transfer from overseas accounts.
- We accept the following Credit Cards: Visa, Master, American Express, and JCB.
- To download your receipt, please click the link included in the Dispatch Notice, which we will send by email as soon as the items are dispatched.
We will ship by DHL for overseas customers (excluding China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia). For customers in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia, we will ship by EMS only. Shipping costs vary depending on your country and region.
- Overseas customers who need to change the size of their order, should note that the time needed for shipping will vary greatly depending on your country of residence.
- We only accept exchanges when the item is unused (except for fitting).
- If you wish to exchange the size of the item, please contact us within seven days of receiving your order.
- Exchanges can only be made for the same color in a different size.
- If the size you wish is out of stock, we will suggest a different color.
- If the product is out of stock, we may simply have to ship the item back to you.
- All shipping costs to be carried by the customer.
- We will only send the exchanged item to you, upon receipt of return shipping cost via PayPal.
- Please be aware that some countries charge customs duties depending on the price of the item.
- We are unable to answer any questions on local customs. Please contact your local customs bureau.
We accept repairs for all of our Yamatomichi products. For inquiries on repair services including patching the holes, repairing with extra components, or fixing the items damaged over time, please feel free to contact us from the “Repair” section of the SUPPORT page.