¥34,100 Tax included
- Product Story
- Form and Function
- Freedom on the Move
- Three Types of Large Front Pockets
- Easy Access
- Anatomy of the THREE
- How to Carry
- Durable and Water Repellent X-Pac VX21
- Please Note
- Care Instructions
- Care Instructions
Easy-to-carry Medium Size Backpack
Made of X-Pac VX21, the THREE is our medium size backpack designed for hard and rugged use.
We’ve designed the back to comfortably hold up to about 10kg of gear carried mostly on your back. That’s why the THREE only comes with a simple webbing hip belt.
Choose from three types of large capacity front pockets to match your needs.
Made in Akita, Japan
Size M 40L
Size L 45L
Mesh / Size M 602g
Mesh / Size L 630g
Standard / Size M 620g
Standard / Size L 645g
Zip / Size M 625g
Zip / Size L 649g
X-Pac VX21 203g/㎡
Lycra Twill 226g/m²
X-Pac VX21 203g/㎡
3D Mesh 194g/m²
200D HT PC Coated Oxford Nylon 144g/m²
YKK #5 Aquaguard®︎
Back Pad 15+
Reflectable Bungee Cord
UNISEX | M / L
Tough and Easy to Use
Our first backpack, ONE, was designed to be ultralight, yet internally framed, capable of distributing the load on the waist.
Some years after the release of ONE I began to explore making a comfortable and easy-to-use backpack, that would be a bit more robust, and hence more reliable, but still comfortable and easy to use.
Junki Nakamura, wearing the 2019 version Winter Moss color.
My hiking style also changed over the years and ONE simply became too large in many cases, so I was exploring a downsized version of ONE, that was meant to be released as “TWO,” but I wasn’t fully satisfied with the prototype so abandoned this idea and focused on making a larger version of the MINI that eventually became the Yamatomichi THREE.
This photo shows the final prototype of THREE. At this point, the hip belt was equipped with a removable pad.
Initially, the prototype’s hip belt was padded, which turned out to be restricting the free movement of the waist. After a thru-hiking for product testing in the Northern Alps, I concluded that regular webbing would work just fine to distribute the load on the waist if the pack’s structure was properly designed. Hence, I removed the padding from the hip belt but increased the width of the webbing from 25mm to 38mm for added comfort.
As a result, although frameless, THREE comfortably allows the carrying of a decent amount of gear distributing the load around the upper torso and upper part of the waist. A conventional pack’s firm and the padded hip belt does sit on the waist securely, but it tends to limit the freedom of waist movement. The low-profile webbing hip belt used on the THREE keeps the waist free when on the move.
THREE packed with gear for one week hiking. (Only three days worth of food is packed as many mountain huts in Japan serve meals.)
I tested various closure methods and ended up with a simple water repellent zipper. Although zippers might break, I focused more on usability and adopted a zipper closure that allows quick access to the items than a draw-string. I also like the fact that it can hold the gear up to the maximum capacity, without redundant fabric.
Consequently, the THREE came out as a very unique backpack, different from both the ONE and the MINI. THREE is perfect for ultralight multi-day hiking. I also recommend it for winter hiking with lots of snow gear.
Form and Function
Freedom on the Move
The THREE is designed to allocate the load on the back and waist using only a simple webbing hip belt, which keeps the load closer to the upper part of the waist.
It’s not designed to carry the main load on the waist like more conventional backpacks with heavy hip belts, but its free-waist design liberates the lower body and allows for a comfortable hike. Although THREE is frameless, our test shows that it can comfortably carry approximately 10 kilograms of weight.
Three Types of Large Front Pockets
The large front pockets are available in Standard, Mesh, and Zip, each serving a different purpose. The pocket is large enough to store a tent, groundsheet, rainwear, etc. with plenty of room to spare.
The front pocket is placed in the middle to stabilize the load balance even when the pocket is full of heavy items, allowing the backpack to sit on your hip bones comfortably.
The standard pocket is widely gusseted and made of the same X-Pac material as the main body. The top of the pocket is not lidded, but highly water resistant X-Pac allows for carefree use in light rain.
Our high volume, wide gusseted pocket made from hard mesh. With mesh, nothing is hidden so you can easily locate what you need. A small tent or rainwear can also be stowed in the mesh pocket even when still wet. Mesh pockets are popular among ultralight-oriented hikers, but in Japan with much rainfall, you will either love it or hate it, depending on your style.
We use the same waterproof zipper pocket as on the Yamatomichi MINI. The capacity of the pocket is slightly smaller than that of the Standard or Mesh pocket. The advantage of the zipper pocket made of X-Pac is the water resistance; keeping your stuff dry when raining. In particular we recommend this type of pocket for snow hikers and backcountry skiers.
The zippered main compartment opens and closes much easier and faster than a drawstring pocket, making access to your belongings a breeze.
The firm fabric makes the backpack structured, allowing for easy packing even the zipper is wide open.
Anatomy of the THREE
Every single detail has been carefully designed for ultimate usability, ensuring comfortable hiking.
The THREE is even suitable for winter hiking that requires additional gear. The bottom attachment loops, the bungee cord at the front, and side straps can be used to fix snowshoes and other vital equipment offering superior versatility.
Each elastic side pocket can store two 500ml bottles. To reach your water easier, loosen the buckle at the end of the shoulder strap to lower the pack.
For the Standard and Mesh version, draw the red pull to instantly open the large pocket.
Bungee cords at the front can be easily released by unhooking the clip.
A light sleeping pad can be attached to the bottom attachment loops. It can also be fixed vertically where branches are dense for easy walking.
The gear loops and bottom attachment loops can hold trekking poles or an ice ax without obstructing the use of the front and side pockets.
To fix an ice ax, slide the shaft into the bottom attachment loop and rotate it so the spike faces upwards, then fix the shaft with the gear loop.
After packing everything, draw the compression straps to keep the items closer to your back, increasing the stability.
The side compression straps are lengthened for carrying snowshoes at the front part of the pack.
The back pad is the same foam material as the UL Pad 15+. It can be removed and used as an auxiliary sleeping pad, or switched to other types of pads.
We use buckles on the hip belt and side straps that are shaped to prevent snow and ice from clogging them up.
How to Carry
- 1. Fasten the hip belt around your upper hipbone.
- Draw the shoulder straps and position the backpack high at your back so that the bottom of the backpack sits on the curved area of the backbone. If the pack is correctly sized, you will feel the load on your waist.
- Tighten the sternum strap.
- Draw the load lifter straps to keep the pack close to your back.
- If carried correctly, you feel 70% of the load on your back, while 30% waist.
*The load lifters should be released when the backpack is not used to prevent the deformation of the shoulder straps.
Durable and Water Repellent X-Pac VX21
X-Pac VX21, which we use for the bottom parts of the ONE and MINI, is a durable and water-resistant multi-layer fabric. It is comprised of a wear-resistant 210 denier nylon on the surface, a water-resistant PET film in the middle, and a 50 denier polyester taffeta and diamond-patterned black polyester X-Ply material at the bottom, combined with the hydrostatic water-resistant structural technology.
Material: 210 denier nylon, black polyester X-Ply, polyester film, 50 denier polyester (Durable Water Repellent)
In-house Test Result (Errors may occur depending on the production lot of the fabric)
Tensile strength (JIS L 1096 A method): Vertical 123kg, Horizontal 119kg
Tear strength (JIS L 1096 A method): Vertical 12.2kg, Horizontal 9.9kg
|体重 / Weight
|身長 / Height
We offer two sizes of THREE. In general, we recommend the larger L size if you are over 175cm tall, but as all people are different we recommend you try out the two different sizes before you buy if at all possible.
- The length of the shoulder strap is the straight line from the base of the strap to the end of the core material.
- Please refer to the ONE product page for more information on how we measure the length of the back of our backpacks.
- If correctly sized, the backpack should sit on the upper hip, between the sacrum and spine.
- *Although the main fabric, X-Pac is water-resistant, the THREE is not completely waterproof. For better water resistance, we highly recommend the use of the water-resistant pack liner or individual Ziploc bags to keep your items safe from the rain.
- Hand-wash only. Do not use a washing machine.
- To hand-wash, submerge the pack in the lukewarm water with the proper amount of neutral detergent.
- Do not bleach and do not use fabric softener.
- Remove the pad and other removable parts and components before washing.
- If the stain is noticeable, wash the area with a brush or soft sponge.
- Rinse well so that the detergent is completely washed away.
- Drain and dry well in the shade, with the mouth of the backpack facing down.
- Store in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight.
- Do not iron.
- The pad is hand-wash only. Rinse well and wipe off the moisture, and hang dry in the shade.
- We only accept payment by credit card. We currently do not accept payment via bank transfer from overseas accounts.
- We accept the following Credit Cards: Visa, Master, American Express, and JCB.
- To download your receipt, please click the link included in the Dispatch Notice, which we will send by email as soon as the items are dispatched.
- Order Confirmation will be sent after the order.
- The items will be dispatched within 3 days after the payment is confirmed.
- The dispatch notice will be sent by email as soon as the items are dispatched.
- The delivery may be delayed by unforeseeable reasons such as natural disasters and other logistics issues. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
- We cannot ship multiple orders in one package due to how our delivery system is currently set up.
- We will ship by DHL for overseas customers (excluding China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia). For customers in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Russia, we will ship by EMS only.
- Shipping costs vary depending on your country and region.
- Overseas customers who need to change the size of their order, should note that the time needed for shipping will vary greatly depending on your country of residence.
- We only accept exchanges when the item is unused (except for fitting).
- If you wish to exchange the size of the item, please contact us within seven days of receiving your order.
- Exchanges can only be made for the same color in a different size.
- If the size you wish is out of stock, we will suggest a different color.
- If the product is out of stock, we may simply have to ship the item back to you.
- All shipping costs to be carried by the customer.
- We will only send the exchanged item to you, upon receipt of return shipping cost via PayPal.
- Please be aware that some countries charge customs duties depending on the price of the item.
- We are unable to answer any questions on local customs. Please contact your local customs bureau.
We accept repairs for all of our Yamatomichi products. For inquiries on repair services including patching the holes, repairing with extra components, or fixing the items damaged over time, please feel free to contact us from the “Repair” section of the SUPPORT page.
- For temporary repair, please keep the repair tape in your emergency kit.
- The repair tape should be patched up on both the front and back sides of the fabric. The tape must be larger than the damaged or torn part of the fabric.
- If you round the edges of the patch, it will last longer.